Friday, April 13, 2007
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
A Lubbock teen is dead following an overnight traffic accident in Lynn County. It happened just after 1:00am Friday morning.
DPS troopers say 19-year-old Armando Macias was westbound on FM 211, and reportedly failed to yield the right of way to a tractor trailer who was heading northbound on US 87. The semi hit the driver's side of Macias' Ford Mustang, sending the vehicle across the highway. Macias was thrown from his vehicle, and pronounced dead on the scene. The driver of the semi was not injured.
Armando Macias, 19, was driving a 1998 Ford Mustang west on FM 211 shortly after 1 a.m. when he ran a stop sign at U.S. 87 and struck a tractor trailer heading northbound on the highway, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Macias, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the car, DPS said. He was pronounced dead at the scene, about 10 miles north of Tahoka.
"He'll be sorely missed," said John Prather, who worked with Macias at Best Buy. "Armando was a great guy, he always made all of us laugh. He was one of the most easy-going guys you would come in contact with."
Prather said he always saw a smile on his friend's face.
Macias had worked at Best Buy for three years. The 2005 Coronado High School graduate was studying radiology at South Plains.
Prather said his friend had a "great work ethic."
"He wanted to do something with himself," he said.
Macias also had strong Christian beliefs.
"He was a Godly person," Prather said, adding that this showed in the way he acted and treated people.
The driver of the tractor trailer, Trace Weatherford of Amarillo, was not injured.
Friday, January 26, 2007
We were dissecting fetal pigs.
Those of you who have done this know the smell of formaldahyde... it doesn't really bother me... luckily. The pigs that we were supposed to cut into were still not thawed out, so we ended up just digging around in some that were already cut open and thawed... and had been sitting in a bucket, not refridgerated, for some time. Needless to say these things were ripe. to keep the legs stretched out to the sides you have to hook little rubber bands to their feet and wrap them around the back of the tray, otherwise they naturally want to curl back into the fetal position. Here's a picture of of an open pig so you get the idea of what we are talking about here.
OK so... as my lab partner is hooking his side up to the rubber bands (not shown in the pic)
his hand slips and the leg "flicks". Now I see in slow motion this group yellowish gelatin, the biggest piece about the size of the bottom knuckle of my thumb (the part with the nail), flying directly for my face... ok this stuff is basically a combination of formaldahyde, defrosted pig bodily juice, and maybe fat... some hit my arm as I reached up to block it, some went into my left nostril, and the majority of it, the big glob at least, flew into the back of my throat (dear god why am I a mouth breather!?). I reflexively swallowed...
Now, I probably should have just vomited, I don't know why I didn't. Instead I just calmly took off my gloves and walked out to the water fountain and washed out my mouth and face, blew the goo out of my nose, and put new gloves on and went back to work. I asked the teacher if I should be worried and she said I was probably fine, but looked horrified... it's been a day and I feel ok... I couldn't get the smell out of my nose though and had to break my year long smoke free... uhm... smoke freeness...(hey if the president can make up words, I can too) to take a few drags off a cigarette and that seems to have helped... anyway that is what I am calling "The Happening"